What do you say? Go, Cubs, go!

Go, Cubs, go! Go, Cubs, go!
Hey, Chicago, what do you say?
The Cubs are gonna win today!

Two weeks ago in this space I wrote that I could die in peace because my beloved Chicago Cubs had reached the World Series.
My first words: “Let’s fly the ‘W’ one more time.
“Truly, that’s all I need.
“I want more, surely. But all I need is to see that white flag with the blue ‘W’ emblazoned across it flying above Wrigley Field.”
OK. I lied.

After my favorite team got to the World Series, I wanted more. I wanted a victory inside Wrigley Field in honor of the long-standing Chicago fans.
That did not happen until Game 5.
After it did, I wanted to get to Game 7.
That task accomplished, I wanted more.
Victory.
And it came.
Last week, as Game 2 — and easy Chicago victory — of the World Series was upon us, I found Wrigleyville online and ordered a “W” flag. Three feet by five feet.
Just like the one they fly at Wrigley Field after every Cubs victory.
Something tells me Cubs officials will leave the one they hung out late Wednesday hanging for a long, long time.
I plan to do the same.

Hey, Chicago, what do you say?
The Cubs are World Series champions? No way!
I think about Billy Williams, Harry Caray, Ernie Banks, Ryne Sandberg, Andre Dawson and Ron Santo.
I think about the homer in the gloamin’ all the way back in 1938.
I think about the Wrigley family and the Tribune company, both too tight to spend enough money to make the Cubs a winner.
I think about Babe Ruth’s “called” home run in 1932.
I think about Steve Bartman — for the record: I do not blame him — in 2003.
I think about my nephew, Will Hancock.

We shared a strong band of love, Will and I.
We also shared a strong love for the Chicago Cubs.
I remember sending him emails — texts and tweets were not well known in 2001 — talking about games that were being played and involved our Cubs.
He was a child of Kansas City and had a passionate love for the Royals. He worked as an intern there a summer or two.
But he loved the Cubs. As did I.
“Do you think we should bring in FillInTheBlank to pitch now?” I would ask.
“Heck no! He would get us killed,” was his common reply.
I can only imagine how much he twisted and turned during the World Series. Especially in Games 5 and 7.
So tense they ripped the breathe right out of your chest.

I remember the Cubs losing 101 games in 2012, not that long ago.
I remember with angst Bill Buckner, one of the players on the first Cubs teams I watched, letting a ball roll through his legs in the 1986 World Series and the Boston Red Sox losing to the hated New York Metropolitans.
The same Mets that ousted the Cubs in the National League Championship Series just last year.

I no longer have to remember in pain.
The Cubs are world champions.
In a gripping, 8-7 Game 7 victory over Cleveland, Chicago did something it has not done in 108 years. One hundred eight.
I paced my living room and kitchen area, trying to find comfort.
I thought death was upon me when Rajai Davis, against a tiring Aroldis Chapman, homered into the left field corner and tied the game at 6-6 in the eighth inning.
I died another death when Davis singled home another run in the 10th inning, accounting for the final score and bringing the winning run to the plate..

Will did not let me down.
I looked skyward and winked at him. He’s been there since 2001, when he died in the horrific Oklahoma State University basketball plane crash.
He gave me a nod and let me know all was going to be well.
Then came the little ground ball Cubs third baseman Kris Bryant fielded and threw to first from behind a huge smile.
In plenty of time and into the glove of Anthony Rizzo at first base.
Pandemonium reigned.

Go, Cubs, go! Go, Cubs, go!
Hey, Chicago, what do you say?
The Cubs won the World Series today!