We asked of Jeremy Frazier. He answered

It’s been right at 10 months since Jeremy Frazier came to work in Cushing as assistant city manager. He took time to visit with us to bring us up to speed on the performance of basically his first year on the job.
We still do not have a copy of his official written job description but are told one exists. We’re curious to see how, in his job description, there is a plan to assign duties and responsibilities such that he will be prepared to step into the role of city manager when the time arrises.
Throughout his first year on the job, he’s been conspicuously low profile from the public perspective. We hardly see him out. He’s not joined, to our knowledge, any local service organizations. He has, and we’re grateful, purchased a home in Cushing so he and his family are officially Cushing residents.
As we began our interview, it was clear to both of us that this was a time for Jeremy to sell himself. This was a time for him to tell our readers about the wonderful job he has done and the amazing contributions and achievements he has made to the community of Cushing for the last year.
This just doesn’t happen to be his style. He is not a self-promoter. He is not nearly as gregarious as some. His mild manner fits him well.
He considers himself a tool of administration. The city of Cushing has 137 employees and 22 departments. That’s the largest organization in which he has been involved in management. So, his involvement in an operation the size of the city of Cushing has been an education for him.
As a tool of administration, he has been rather out of the public eye. Certainly he has been productive. He has assisted in researching and writing internal policy. He is currently drafting a vision plan for the business of the city of Cushing and has been busy with employee evolvement and training.
Frazier believes his role as assistant city manager to have had a positive affect on employees of the city.
When asked if he’d be interested in the city manager position when the time comes that Steve Spears retires, he said it would be a huge opportunity and a huge responsibility.
Frazier has a pretty impressive pedigree. He was the first student member of the City Managers Association of Oklahoma. The organization created a position for him. He’s served on that association for many years, having learned much and contributed much to the group.
As good of a guy as Jeremy is, I thought he should, especially if he has a wish to become our city manager someday, be more out in the public. I made a suggestion.
I asked how Jeremy would feel about taking on, as chairman or director of a new movement begun by the city of Cushing but one that basically has been dropped. It has incredible potential to be a valuable asset to our community.
I was referring to Cushing Pride.
This movement once had hundreds of volunteers coming together to improve the appearance of our community. It worked. We all felt good about cleaning up Harmony Road or Ninth Street east of Cushing, or the downtown area.
We felt great when it was finished. Problem was, it was an improvement that lasted about two weeks and it was in need of maintenance again.
No process was set up to handle ongoing care.
Cushing Pride can be multi-faceted and can be one of the most valuable tools for community development our community has ever designed. The problem is: It needs leadership.
Cushing Pride needs one person at the helm. Cushing Pride deserves to have a chance to be so successful it takes on its own life to grow and thrive.
I suggested that Jeremy might take the lead, work it, plan it, create the vision plan for the next decade, grow to the point that everyone wants to be involved — of course we all know everyone wants to be involved in successful ventures — then spin it off to a community organization rather than one administered by the city of Cushing.
He replied that although the movement has merit, it might be a risky proposition for him to take the lead.
We cannot disagree. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
Blessings.