That difficult day

Tearing yourself apart

By Jim Perry

Managing Editor

It came. It went. It got better.
“I have to be strong today because if I’m not, she won’t be tomorrow.”
So said Carrie Gilbert Monday morning as she strode out of Misty Carmin’s “Parrot Place” room at Cushing pre-kindergarten center.
Gilbert a few minutes earlier had torn herself away from her 4-year-old daughter, Daphne Gilbert.
“I have to be strong,” she repeated.
Other moms and dads at pre-K, housed in the former Sunnyside Elementary School at 1919 South Kings Highway, battled the same fears.
“I didn’t realize it was going to be this difficult,” said Wakonda Aldridge through a face full of tears after saying “goodbye” to her son, 4-year-old Ruger Aldridge.
Michael and Randi Bradley sneaked away from son Ephraim, who was crying in Linda Vasser’s room. Vassar was busy comforting Rob Scott, who had buried his face into a desk and was showing nobody his tears.
During breakfast, Shauntel Sjodin was forced to rip herself away from her son, Gavin, 4.
Principal Sally Wright welcomed students to their true first days of school and assured their parents all would be well at pre-K.
The message may have worn off by the time the parents exited the building.
“It will get better, Mom. Tomorrow it will get better.”
“The moms are crying more than the kids are.”