T&G closes 65th season with mystique

It is time to get fired up for the last Town & Gown Theatre production for its 65th season, The summer musical “Into The Woods” is directed by Anna Davis and opens Wednesday.
“Into The Woods” is a book by James Lapine with music and lyrics by Stephen Sondheim.
The setting is the mystical woods and follows a Baker and his wife, who wish to have a child; Cinderella, who wishes to attend the King’s Festival; and Jack, who wishes his cow would give milk.
When the Baker and his wife learn that they cannot have a child because of a witch’s curse, the two set off on a journey to break the curse. Everyone’s wish is granted, but the consequences of their actions return to haunt them later with disastrous results.
“I wondered just what I had gotten myself into,” Davis said. “This show, one of the most widely produced musicals out there, was a daunting one from the start.”
Davis describes the show as a beautiful fairy tale that is about growing up.
“Children grow up. People leave us when we least expect it. And we might wish for something more than our current situation.
“It’s how we grow and understand these situations that define us in the end. Just as the song says, ‘You decide what’s right. You decide what’s good.’”
Auditions were in early April with nearly 80 people vying for 18 roles.
“My cast is very hard-working and eager to perform,” Davis said. “They have taken a lot of ownership of the show from helping build props and working on the set to scheduling additional rehearsals to make sure that everything looks and sounds amazing.”
“Into The Woods” is a musical dark comedy with some adult language and situations. It will run for 10 performances June 15-19 and 22-26, with Wednesday through Saturday performances beginning at 7:30 p.m. and Sunday at 2:30 p.m.