Register to vote and get yourself there

The issue of selling strong beer in convenience stores and grocery stores has come up before.
We’re in the Bible-belt — we’re going to have to say that’s much of the reason why historically Oklahoma has not had laws particularly favorable to alcohol consumers or the alcohol industry.
This issue will take a baby step forward this November.
This battle is not between the church and the alcohol industry, it’s between Walmart and the liquor stores.
Certainly the convenience store industry and the grocery stores favor the change. The strong beer may or may not make a huge difference to grocery and convenience stores but the option to sell wines may be large.
There are two State Questions regarding laws on alcohol that have made their way to the top of the heap. One is SQ 792 and the other SQ 791. SQ 791 has an initiative petition underway now and will soon have enough signatures to be on the Nov. 8 ballot.
Both liquor stores in Cushing, L&N Liquor and Brother’s Liquor, have the petitions at their stores and welcome you to come sign your support of allowing this question to be voted on by the people.
The package liquor stores favor SQ 791 for a couple of several good reasons:
Cold been sooner — SQ 791, should it pass, allows all stores currently selling 3.2 percent beer to begin selling strong beer and allows package liquor stores to begin selling cold strong beer on July 1, 2017 rather than Oct. 1, 2018 proposed by SQ 792.
Tastings – SQ 791 allows package stores to have seminars, tastings and other consumer services associated with alcohol products. SQ 792 prohibits any such activities in either package stores or other retail stores.
Age of employees – SQ 791 requires anyone selling or handling strong alcohol to be at least 18 years-of-age while SQ 792 has no such requirements thus a person 14 could be handling stronger alcohol.
One must be 18 or older to sell alcoholic beverages under both questions.
Big business – with SQ 792, we understand companies like Costco who market their private label spirits will be able to sell their Kirkland brand in their Oklahoma store(s). They currently cannot.
Additionally Walmart has plans of creating its own private label beer and marketing only through its stores and, of course, it will be offered at a lower price with, no doubt, a higher profit margin for Walmart than selling known beer brands.
Open Sundays – Currently, liquor stores are required to be closed on Sunday. SQ 791 says stores licensed to sell alcoholic beverages are permitted to do so any day except for Thanksgiving and Christmas days.
Both questions will very likely be on the ballot. Voters have the option of voting “yes” or “no” on each questions.
What we do not know is if both issues could possibly pass. What if a voter, instead of choosing a preferred choice, votes for both?
I don’t have an answer for that one.
It does appear Oklahoma voters have decided they want to buy stronger beer in their convenience/grocery stores and they want the option of buying cold strong beer in package retail stores.
Nov. 8 is their opportunity to have their way.

SQ 790
No public funds used for religious purposes:
This would be an Oklahoma law so, at this point; we don’t have to worry about taking “In God We Trust” off our currency.
At face value, the notion of passing this law nauseates me.
In the United States of America, we should be able to have the Ten Commandments displayed at every public building. We should have “On Nation Under God” on every state and federal public building.
Then, a friend asked, what if the teacher decides to pass a Koran to each of the students?
We’ll vote “no” on this one preferring to trust that Christians have as much courage to say “yes” to posting Christian messages on or around public buildings as non-Christians have to say “no.”
It is not required nor is it reasonable to expect everyone to be happy. It is perfectly okay for non-Christians to be very opposed to measures Christians choose to take. Regardless of what the politically correct choose to believe, this is a Christian country founded — our very foundation — is on Christian principles.
If you don’t like it, fine. Get over it.

Medical weed
We cannot leave this one alone. In Oklahoma? Really? We wonder what proposed new law, in the history of this state, got defeated the worst.
This one will set a new record.
Only the naïve would believe that legalizing medical marijuana is not a precursor to legalizing recreational marijuana.
Maybe it’s a good deal. Let’s legalize recreational grass and put a healthy tax on it and earmark that tax for education. Would that work? Of course not – we tried that on the lottery.
Legalizing marijuana on any terms will not be passed in Oklahoma in our lifetime. I could be we wrong?
I was stunned when the American public elected Barack Hussein Obama into the presidency for a second term.
If Oklahoma legalizes medical marijuana, it will support Hillary Clinton for president on the same day.
Ain’t gonna happen.

There are lots of initiative petitions going around. Much will be decided on Nov. 8. The take-away today is register to vote. There will be so much on which to vote, which could conceivably change our lives forever that everyone eligible to vote should exercise their right to do so. It’s that big of a deal.

Blessings.