New econ developer has plenty on plate

Cushing’s new economic developer, David Hinkle, knows economic development.
He told Rotarians recently that economic development is braces on a little girl, a pair of glasses on the face of a child that needs them, new uniforms on the high school band, a decent car in the driveway, new clothes for school, a relaxing vacation once in a while.
Economic development is defined as forces that cause stakeholders to enjoy a better life.
In Cushing, who are the stakeholders? We are. Every person living in Cushing has something to gain by progressive economic development in our community. Each stakeholder also has a responsibility.
Anything Cushing does that draws people to Cushing is economic development. When people come here, even for an evening, they buy gas, eat at a local restaurant, and perhaps stay a night in one of our hotels. When visitors come to Cushing and spend some money while they’re here, that’s economic development.
Of course, when new employers come to Cushing bringing their management team and some employees and providing jobs for unemployed or underemployed Cushing folks, that definitely is economic development.
According to Hinkle, he is another player on our team. He is not the team.
The community is the team and every team member plays a very important and specific role. Some like to leave things better than they found it — the case with Hinkle — so he picks up an empty water bottle or gum wrapper off the ground to put in a trash can somewhere.
Others take the responsibility to take good care of their property such that property they own is a positive aspect of Cushing to newcomers to our town.
Like on a football team, every player has a specific and important role. If a player fails to do his part, the whole team suffers.
According to Hinkle, the same dynamics work in community. In order for the team to experience optimum success, every player on the team must know their role and do their job.
Each person in Cushing does something or says something that influences positively or negatively another person’s decision to come here or stay here.
“We want people to live, work and play Cushing,” he said.
We have had a few tough years, economically, in this area. Stillwater has not felt it as much because their economy is more diversified, but in Cushing, when energy prices fall, the economy suffers.
Hinkle said we must diversify our economy and will be working to do that, the fact is, in Cushing, we need to preserve, protect and promote energy and understand that the best area of opportunity for future growth in Cushing is through the energy sector.
To conclude his comments to Rotary, Hinkle asked the stakeholders in Cushing to do five things:
—Say something good about Cushing. Maybe even post it on social media.
—Brag on things good in Cushing like the school system, the hospital, city amenities, Rotary Park, etc.
—When you see someone doing something a little extra to make Cushing better, tell him or her you appreciate him or her. Encourage them to keep up the good work.
—Brag on Cushing, when the opportunity arises, to out of town suppliers. —Explain that the business climate may be more valuable to their business here than where they are currently.
Bring your ideas to the table. Hinkle currently has his office in the Cushing Chamber of Commerce and Industry building. If you have a good idea, go share it with him.
The only bad idea is one not shared.
Hinkle comes to Cushing with a rich war chest of economic development experience with him. We are grateful Cushing’s City Commission chose to fund the position. We’re grateful the Cushing Economic Development Foundation sought and recruited David Hinkle to be the first full-time economic developer we’ve had for many years.
He will prove to be an excellent investment of city funds.

Endorsing Clinton?
Don’t think the Enid Morning News and Eagle will be the last paper in Oklahoma to do the unthinkable — at least in Oklahoma — endorse a Democrat for president.
Enid is among many papers in Oklahoma that was purchased from 1996 to 1998 by a company financed by the Alabama Retired Teachers’ Pension Fund. The name of the company is Community Newspapers Holdings Inc. Or CNHI.
Yes, that’s the company we sold the paper to back in 1997. The principal at CNHI, at the time, was a good newspaperman named Ralph Martin.
It seemed only minutes after we sold to them, they canned Martin and put in, as CEO, their CFO, Mike Reed. Our team of Jack Forsyth and Don Ethridge out-maneuvered CNHI at the closing table.
Admittedly, we had an awesome team; still, the company is not that bright. They have, since their purchase of Oklahoma newspapers began, when their October interest payment came due, they’d sell some of their properties taking huge losses. Their circulation numbers and ad revenues volumes have plummeted.
Among other CNHI papers are Stillwater NewsPress, Norman Transcript, The Ada News, The Claremore Progess, The Duncan Banner, the McAlester News-Capital, The Muskogee Phoenix, The Tahlequah Daily Press, and the Woodward News.
The non-dailies they have are the Chickasha Express, the Edmond Sun — once daily — The Moore American, The Pauls Valley Democrat — also — the Pryor Times, a former daily and the Stillwater Democrat.
The reason for listing all these is as a heads-up to see how many of the other CNHI papers endorse Hillary.
We’re not real pleased with the mainstream media. They’re on the hunt to dig up distractions. Clearly, both candidates have a tainted past. Who doesn’t? Of course, candidates for president of the United States are held to higher standards, or should be.
Why is it that Hillary has done so much so bad and avoids prosecution? Donald Trump many years ago, makes a “locker room” comment in the privacy of a bunch of other guys and it resurfaces at election time. Get over it.
We will say again, our system is broken. To elect a politician to fix broken politics is like hiring a lawyer to fix our lawsuit-happy society. We need a businessman — non-politician — who owes no political favors, to make the unpopular choices necessary to bring sense to US politics.
With Monday night’s second presidential debate, some progress was made. Many who were on the fence now confidently support Donald Trump. That even the Republican Party is concerned about what to do with this man give us even more encouragement. With his election to the presidency of the United States, politics as usual will end. That makes many career politicians on both sides of the aisle very nervous, and should.
We’d love to see a bit more polish but polish is easy to overlook when offered courage and substance.
It will be a great day for the United States.
Blessings.