Legion post damaged

By Jim Perry

Managing Editor
An official from the National Historical Register of Buildings will visit Cushing soon, Jim Hunter said, in regards to saving Donaldson-Walker American Legion Post 108.
The building at 214 S. Noble Ave. was heavily damaged during Sunday night’s 5.0-magnitude earthquake only a few miles away.
“It’s really bad,” Hunter said of the building that bears his name and that was placed a few years back on the National Historic Register. “I’m not feeling too good right now.”
Hunter said no decisions have been made yet but “my input will be involved” when Legion officials decide whether to rebuild or renovate.
“We will rebuild in the same spot if we can,” he said. “But we’re not sure yet because we have to talk to people from the National Historic Register.”
The back side — east — of the building was hit hardest. The fireplace on the north wall was moved “this far,” Hunter said, while holding his hands about six or eight inches apart.
“The outside chimney is moved to the north and we have a lot of the ceiling knocked down,” he said.
The post on Friday will celebrate Veteran’s Day with a special ceremony in the Dora Hobbs Performing Arts Center at Cushing High School. It begins at 11 a.m. and will feature music by Emily Moore, poetry from the CHS history students and a keynote address by Greg Slavonic, a retired rear admiral serving as chief of staff for U.S. Sen. James Lankford.