Everything is about advertising ...

I wrote last week about economic development. I wrote that bringing dollars from outside Cushing into Cushing is economic development.
The Cushing Citizen and staff is all about bringing more money into Cushing helping to bring sales tax revenues in Cushing and other communities in the Cimarron Valley. We are, and have always been, eager to help businesses to maximum sales and profits by effectively advertising their companies.
Wednesday and Saturday, Reid Communications publishes the Cushing Citizen. Also on Wednesday we publish the Buyers’ EDGE. Everyone in Cushing knows that because, each Wednesday, a copy shows up in his or her mailbox. Additionally, everyone who lives in Agra, Ripley, Yale, Oilton and Drumright gets a Buyers’ EDGE in their mail box.
Combined with the Citizen, more than 10,000 newspapers are delivered, by mail, to every residential address in a 15-mile radius of Cushing. That’s a fact.
With few exceptions, every business in the Cushing area has opportunity to make more money and have more fun should residents within a 15-mile radius choose to shop with them. That’s precisely what we want to help make happen.
Figuring an average of three people per household, there’s a community of 30,000 we’re serving. Many who have tried the EDGE and Citizen combination know of the impact. Ask Greg Babenic at McDonald’s. He used the front page of the EDGE for his primary campaign and apparently believes it to be one of the best ways to reach the folks.
King Cash Savers uses the Citizen and EDGE for distribution of their weekly inserts. It has made a very positive difference in their business when we extended the coverage way beyond the Cushing zip.
Root’s Hometown Furniture and Appliance advertise in the Citizen and EDGE every week and are convinced it’s helping their business.
Drumright Dental Center advertises with us every week in the Citizen and the EDGE and continues to advertise with us because it gets results.
It’s a good investment for their practice.
I am sympathetic about the challenge Cimarron Valley businesses have with deciding where to invest advertising dollars. There is plenty of competition for advertising dollars in this marketplace. Rather than attempting to explain how we stack up compared to our competitors, let me just say if impact is what you want to achieve through your advertising, we can bring you that in spades.
I remember nearly 40 years ago working in advertising for the Weatherford Daily News. There were two client stories in particular that still stand out in my mind. George Wedding was manager of the Pizza Hut. He was one of my first contacts when I came back to Weatherford after having worked in Cordell for a couple of years.
I walked in the door and told George who I was and he began telling me about ads he wanted to run. One ad after another. They were good size ads, too. I was excited. I thought everyone in Weatherford was just waiting to show up and help them to place a bunch of ads in the paper. What a great start.
Then another of my clients was Carter Ralls who owned the OTASCO store on Main Street in Weatherford. His store was not very attractive although he had an impressive inventory. I tried with all my might to get Mr. Ralls to advertise. I call him “Mr. Ralls” because he showed that respect to every person to enter his store. Everyone was “Mr.” or “Ms.” Though I was likely 40 years his junior, he still called me “Mr. Reid.”
With all my efforts, the response from Mr. Ralls was, “Mr. Reid, if I ran an ad and sold a bunch of stuff, I’d just have to reorder.”
Somewhere I must have gone wrong. So far, in my career, I thought that was the idea. I suggest that Mr. Ralls just sneak in the back door every morning, not even turn the lights on, and spend as much time as he wanted admiring all his merchandise and when he’d had enough, ease back out the back and return home.
In the Cushing area, we may not have anyone quite as eager to advertise as George Wedding but, thankfully, we also have far better retailers here than my example of Mr. Ralls. He was the nicest man.
It’s so easy to overthink advertising. It can happen that in an effort in an attractive manner, we don’t communicate the intent of the ad. Another of my clients in my Cordell days told me, “David, an ad is not required to be pretty. It is only required to work.”
It can be as easy as this. If every businessperson would ask himself or herself, being rigorously honest, “What do I sell that someone would want to buy today?” What are the products or services you have to sell that someone may want to buy today? The answer may well be exactly what your next ad needs to be about.
But regardless of the content of an ad, one would agree that, in a given week, if we could put an appeal in more than 10,000 customers and prospective customers hand that asks them if they’d like to buy something from you, that’d probably be a good approach.
That’s precisely what we offer you every week. Over 10,000 copies touching their hands through the U.S. mail with advertising content they’re already eager to receive because of the regular advertisers who already use us successfully.
May we help you use your business to increase the sales tax revenues in your community? Or maybe we should go ahead and put it this way: may we help you make more profit in your business? We want to work with you help stimulate our economy.
That is our prayer. Everybody wins.

Blessings.