Quantcast

DAR going Constitutional

Saturday begins the national celebration of Constitution Week.
The weeklong commemoration of America’s most important document is one of our country’s least known official observances. The Constitution stands as a testament to the tenacity of Americans throughout history to maintain their liberties and freedom, and to ensure those inalienable rights to every American.
Two Cushing Daughter of the American Revolution chapter members — Sue Cline and Roz Detrich — will be in revolutionary costumes reading books to some elementary classrooms about the Constitution at the State Capitol.
The tradition of celebrating the Constitution was started many years ago by the Daughters of the DAR. In 1955, Daughters petitioned Congress to set aside September 17-23 annually to be dedicated for the observance of Constitution Week. The resolution was later adopted by the U.S. Congress and signed into Public Law Aug. 2, 1956 by President Dwight D. Eisenhower.
The aims of the celebration are to emphasize citizens’ responsibilities for protecting and defending the Constitution, preserving it for posterity; inform the people that the Constitution is the basis for America’s great heritage and the foundation for our way of life; and encourage the study of the historical events which led to the framing of the Constitution in September 1787.
www.oklahomadar.org