Bob Reed

July 23, 1957 - Jan. 22, 2017

Bob J. Reed, a longtime Yale resident and American Heritage banker, died Jan. 22, 2017. He was 59.
Memorial services will be 2 p.m. Thursday at the Assembly of God Church in Yale. The Rev. Don Reed will officiate.
Arrangements are entrusted to Palmer Marler Funeral Home in Yale.
Bob was born July 23, 1957 in Hobbs, New Mexico, to Gene and Betty Poorboy Reed. He grew up in Cushing and graduated in 1975 from Cushing High School.
He furthered his education at Central State University — now the University of Central Oklahoma — in Edmond and at Southern Methodist University in Dallas.
Bob began his 35 year-long career with American Heritage Bank as a loan officer. He managed branches in Yale, Cleveland and Mannford and worked on problem asset recovery in Sapulpa.
Bob enjoyed sail boating, welding, woodwork, tinkering on automobiles and most everything he could fix.
He and first wife LaDonna Reed had three children, Stuart, Ashleigh and Kent.
He shared a love for Volkswagons with his son Stuart. They rebuilt, showed and raced various models.
He traveled in and out of state to participate with his son Kent in Civil War reenactments.
Bob and his daughter Ashleigh shared a love for music.
On Sept. 9, 2009 in Sapulpa, Bob married Rose Baker on September. They made their home in Yale.
Bob was community-minded. He donated his time and made his land available for the Civil War reenactment. He was a member of the chamber of commerce, helping with building the pavilion, rodeo arena, bridge by the armory, flag pole at Liberty Park.
He was a 20-year volunteer at the Yale Fire Department.
The Reeds attended Harvest Church in Sand Springs. He loved spending time with his children and grandchildren.
Bob is survived by his wife, Rose, of the home; mother, Betty Simms of Yale; sons Stuart Reed and wife Krystl of Yale and Kent Reed and wife Lori of Mannford; daughters Ashleigh Day and husband Richie of Yale, Morgan Martin andhalfway through the barriers and gaining speed the whole time. Here, the recording shows a number of Iraqi police, some of whom had fired their AKs, now scattering like the normal and rational men they were. Some running right past the Marines. They had three seconds left to live.
For about two seconds more, the recording shows the Marines’ weapons firing non-stop the truck’s windshield exploding into shards of glass as their rounds take it apart and tore in to the body of the — I deleted — who is trying to get past them to kill their brothers. American and Iraqis bedded down in the barracks totally unaware of the fact that their lives at that moment depended entirely on two Marines standing their ground.
If they had been aware, they would have known they were safe because two Marines stood between them and a crazed suicide bomber. The recording shows the truck careening to a stop immediately in front of the two Marines.
In all of the instantaneous violence, Yale and Haerter never hesitated. By all reports and by the recording, they never stepped back. They never even started to step aside. They never even shifted their weight. With their feet spread shoulder width apart, they leaned into the danger, firing as fast as they could work their weapons. They had only one second left to live.
The truck explodes. The camera goes blank. Two young men go to their God. Six seconds. Not enough time to think about their families, their country, their flag, or about their lives or their deaths. But more than enough time for two very brave young men to do their duty into eternity.
That is the kind of people who are on watch all over the world tonight. For you.
We Marines believe that God gave America the greatest gift he could bestow to man while he lived on this earth: freedom. We also believe he gave us another gift nearly as precious — our soldiers, sailors, airmen, U.S. Customs and Border Patrol, Coast Guardsmen and Marines — to safeguard that gift and guarantee no force on this earth can ever steal it away.
It has been my distinct honor to have been with you here today. Rest assured our America — this experiment in democracy started over two centuries ago — will forever remain the “land of the free and home of the brave” so long as we never run out of tough young Americans who are willing to look beyond their own self-interest and comfortable lives, and go into the darkest and most dangerous places on earth to hunt down, and kill, those who would do us harm.
God Bless America and Semper Fidelis!